Monday, September 12, 2011

The Only "Colored"

                
Yesterday, we built our first camp fire.  Even though it was a pretty warm evening, around 7:30 pm we sat around a flame and told stories from the historical colonial era of 1800’s- early 1900’s.

 “This land is your land, this land is my land,” we sing, clapping and stomping our feet.  This was the song that reminded me of the pioneer’s attitudes.  Beyond a doubt, the author of this song felt like this was their land.  Well, I guess it is because they STILL have it centuries later.

As the sun went down, we sing songs with accompanied wash boards and spoons to accompany our rhythm.  It was solid entertainment. Watching us all get into character, we wore our bonnets and top hats proudly, as we tapped into our childhoods pretending to be pioneers and settlers.  It was fun.  Hot, but fun.
Although we ended a little later than usual last night, we definitely still had to be back at the Forest shed 8:00 a.m. SHARP. Today is the day we get to learn about the historical tools that settlers used before there was the convenience of electricity.

We begin our quest through the trails and landed in an open field of land with two rusted wooden houses, an old water well with a pump, a fence created out of logs, and a wooden shed with lots of historical equipment inside.  These were real artifacts.

I was in absolute awe.  “So much history in one place,” I thought to myself.
Hmmm… could I have lived during this era?  Probably not, especially since I would be considered a “colored” woman.  And Lord knows I would’ve been a really bad slave.

The team leader of our group encouraged us to experience what they refer to as “simple tools” on site.  From what I could identify, we used rusted saws, axes, carvers, washing boards, and there was even this wooden horse settlers used to shave there logs into whatever they needed it to be.

For a moment, I could feel myself going into a deep silence.  Sitting on a tree stump underneath the tin shed, I settled down and watched my colleagues smile and give their best efforts in figuring out how the tools were originally meant to be used.

“What if one of the kids asks about slavery?” asked someone.
“Well, that’s not a conversation we encourage you to have with children.  It’s a very sensitive topic. If they ask, it’s up to you to answer it in a respectful, tactful, way,” responded our team leader.

Being the only “colored” on my team, I felt a slight shift of energy within myself and noticed a few eyes glancing at me.  As much as I hate to admit it, EVERYTIME I am reminded of that part of history, I get this feeling as if I knew the slaves personally.  It feels like I want to say something, but I don’t know what to say.  Being in this “colonial” setting didn’t quite help either.

“Don’t say anything,” I told myself.

 Not because I don’t have the audacity to speak up, but because I’m more concerned about speaking on a topic that will create dissonance instead of unity amongst myself and my team.   It’s not like they are slave owners.

So, where exactly am I going with this?  To be honest, I don’t quite know yet.  But, I do know that regardless of how I want to look at it, the pioneers’ colonization and slavery is a part of history for a reason.  And to be quite frank, whatever happens, is meant to happen.
God has blessed me with the wisdom to understand that everything works together for those who love him (Romans 8:28).  So, even though slavery isn’t considered to be a positive part of our past, whether we like it or not, at one point in history it was OK and concidered NORMAL.                                                                                         

So what does that have to do with us  today?

I think that today’s society will one day look back at our modern lifestyles and “tools” and discover that we TOO have errors.  I am a firm believer that everything truly happens for a reason.  That’s why I have to thank God for the settlers, their “simple tools”, their traditions, and their slaves.  I honestly, have to thank God for everything, because whether the settlers meant to do evil or not, I believe that if God allows anything to happen, it is a good thing.

Now think of the worst case scenario that you can possibly think of for your own life.  Yep, put it in your mind and feel the hurt and the fear of that mysterious reality.  Now, do yourself a favor and know that if that scenario ever actually happened, GOD’s got that under control too.  Remember, that at any point in time, what is good for us today, can be bad for us tomorrow because God is God, and whatever He allows to happen has happened, so who are we to suggest otherwise.
Let us celebrate the omnipotent God that we serve, who created the heavens, the earth and beyond.  For HE knows the amount of hair that we all individually have on our head (Mathew 10:30), so how much more do you think he knows about what is allowed to exist?  Everything has its own time, and there is a specific time for every activity under heaven.  (Ecclesiastes 3:1) and Yes, even slavery is included in this!
I listened to my heart and I didn’t say a word.  I enjoyed the experience of the colonial times and, even as the only “colored,” I thank God for it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment