Monday, September 12, 2011

Accountability is the Key


It’s my third week in my “Wilderness” and I feel excellent.  Today was the first day I started this workout program called Insanity.  I’ve attempted to do it in the past but I only made it to week 3.  Mark my words. I plan to make it to DAY 60 and BEYOND!    The fact that I have 5 other workout partners here at the camp is absolutely inspiring. 
My alarm clock went off at like 5:24 am.   I usually give myself a few minutes too roll around and contemplate if I want to get out of my warm cocoon before I jump out of bed.  But this morning, I didn’t have much to think about.  The only thing to run across my mind was that fact that I would be held accountable if I even considered not showing up, especially since it was my idea to do this "Insanity" program anyway.  Plus, I was the one with the dvd, so I would've pissed a lot of people off. 
The first day of the program is just a Fit Test, but please don’t think that it was in anyway easy.  Sean T., our new on-screen workout instructor, gave us 60 seconds to do a series of different workouts until we literally could not do any more.  The point of this is so we could all track our progress for the next, now 59, days.  I have to admit, I literally felt like I was going to throw up.  Out of all the girls I’m working out with, I know I’m the least in shape, which is ironic that I, the one getting the lowest “test scores” this morning, was the same one pumping everyone up prior to us working out.  Ha. 
Considering the fact that I’ve already attempted this program on my own several times before, I believe my new workout crew  is the reason I  will FINALLY complete the program.  I have accountability now.  And there are very few moments in my life that I can remember being excited about accountability.  Sometimes all we need is someone to keep their eyes on us; at least that’s the case for someone like me who can very easily slip into "excuse mode." 
Sounds something like,
"I'll just wait until next week." (which turns into next month.. which turns into 3 months... lol)
Inspired by the exhaustion of my workout, I ate a small bowl of oatmeal, an orange, and a boiled egg for breakfast, a wonderful chicken spinach salad for lunch, and a small portion of rice and beans for dinner.  I think I’m getting the hang of this healthy thing.   I just have to forget the fact that it’s just my first day and accept the fact that everyday should feel like the first day, exciting, motivational, and (for lack of a better word) pumped. 
Accountability is the reason I didn’t roll over  at 5:24 am and accountability is the reason I will be successful at whatever I do, I just have to make sure I notice the eyes watching me… even if they are God’s eyes.  

1 comment: