Monday, September 19, 2011

Recyled Thoughts Become Recycled Actions.



Entering into my fourth week here in my “wilderness” period and I feel more aligned than I can remember.   This weekend was amazing!  I was able to step outside of the forest and socialize for a change. Spontaneously, a few of my colleagues and I decided to visit Atlanta for the weekend.   Our first adventure included going to a Braves game.  Baseball isn’t a sport that I follow but I really enjoy being outside in the sun, rooting for men I don’t know that are passionate about what they do.  Play ball!
Sipping on my seven-dollar Budweiser, we all sang “Take me out to the ball game,” as the words flashed brightly across the screens of Turner Field.  What a beautiful day to see the Braves win in the ninth inning.  And to add the cherry on top, there was a FREE CONCERT afterwards that I was not expecting!

The famous 70’s band Styx came out to perform.  As “seasoned” as they are, their performance was truly inspiring.  I can only pray for a career that last as long as theirs.  Geesh… it’s been almost forty years since their prime.  Although their attire seemed to be a little “young,” I was amused by their zeal for performing.
After the Braves won, we all decided to hang out and WHAT A NIGHT IT WAS!  One of my colleagues grew up in an area that I’m quite familiar with, its near Little Five Points of Atlanta.  Her mother prepared a fabulous dinner for us and we all sat around a table like a family and laughed about our experiences in the “wilderness.” 
“Prisci, the penguin!”  This was a running joke we’ve had since our second week at the camp.  Long story short, it was a name game song created to help students and staff members remember each other’s names.  Let’s just say it was a REALLY large group and I just so happen to be the first person whose name was repeated the most out of the entire group.  So, turns out the name game does work, it’s just a little annoying, but in a fun way.  Hey, at least everyone remembered my name J
After dinner, we all headed out to one of my FAVORITE secret afterhours spots in Atlanta.  Well, it’s not so “secret” anymore, but if you’re ever in the ATL you have to go to a spot called MJQ.  It’s an underground dance club with a great mixed crowd, cheap drinks, and if you care more about having a good time than “stunting” then this is the place for you! Besides, it’s where the cool people hang. Lol. Anywho, the night was amazing.
Sunday morning was even better!  We visited an arts festival that just so happen to be in my favorite park, Piedmont Park.  It was SO inspiring to see the beautiful creations, paintings, sculptures, and listen to different types of musicians express themselves all under the same sun at the same time.  I mean, I was so positively overwhelmed with creative energy.  I fell in love every artistic expression surrounding me, including the bucket drummer... amazing!



We ate funnel cake, chilled out in the grass and "people watched," and I even met an artist by the name of Madison Latimer whose energy and paintings were so vibrant I just had to spark a conversation with her. 

As I stared in awe of her bright colored chickens and roosters, she welcomed my energy into her world.
“What’s your name darling?” She asked with a slight southern drawl.
“It’s Prisci Polet,” excited she asked.
“That’s a beautiful name. You must be an artist with a name like that.”
I told her I was a creator.  I love creating music and I love expressing what I learn through all types of art as well.  Immediately, I could feel her awareness of the creative energies that lies within us all.  She was magnetic.
 “Is there any advice you would give an artist like me?” I asked inquisitively, awaiting a magical answer.
“Sing with the birds every morning.  Sometimes we forget to carry out our creations on the daily bases.”
“Yes ma’am.  I will.  Thank you.” 
As simple as her instructions may have been, I can honestly say that in the past I’ve never simplified my gift to that extent.  Sing with birds?!  What a statement! When I think about it, I really do hear them sing every day, whether it’s raining, snowing, foggy, or sunny, I ALWAYS hear the birds. 
Speaking of, this Monday morning was recycle day at “the wilderness” and as we separated a parking lot full of plastic, aluminum, and random trash pieces, I vividly remembered her instructions and I sing whatever came to my heart.  I sung about ants, I sung about God, I sung about “working on the railroad,” I sung to bring joy, I sung to heal, and I sung to release all negative emotions and thoughts that came to mind about what I was doing, and, guess what,  it worked.  Sure, it would’ve been easy for me to be pissed off.  Who wants to separate trash for hours?  Well, apparently I did because by 5pm it was all done.


Separating the recyclables from the trash was actually quite similar to what I practice inside of my head.  Good thought. How about I save that so I can use that again later?  Negative thought.  How about I trash that thought forever?  Ahh… life.  What a recycler in itself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment